The Canyon Falls Bridge is constructed of a two-hinged, girder-ribbed arch. Located within minutes of both the Betsie and Platte River. However, the structure began to degrade, and a new lighthouse was built in 1876 at a cost of $30,000. The house in Stanton was later owned by James Willet, another prominent lumberman and mayor of Stanton. Frank J. Cobbs built this house in 1898, the year he was married and his father died, leaving the management of Cobbs & Mitchell to Frank. The NRIS lists the Toft Lake Village Site as "address restricted;" however, references show it is located on the shore of Toft Lake. Guardrails have ornamental steel rails and balusters, and a decorative concrete pylon tops each arch pedestal. White River Campground; Fox Cities, Wisconsin Photo by Tim Sweet . An archaeological site which is part of the Woodland Period Archaeological Sites of the Indian River and Fishdam River Basins MPS. Whether passing through or staying a while, we invite you to visit Timberline Campground in the Benzonia area of Benzie County. Freshwater lakes and an abundance of rivers await your fishing pole. The configuration of the bridge is highly simplified, with some minimal decoration on ancillary components. The architecturally significant portion of the building is the 1938 elementary school addition. Freshwater lakes and an abundance of rivers await your fishing pole. The tower is notable for the architectural approach to the design of the fundamentally utilitarian structure. The building was eventually purchased and finished in 1900 by William Nisbett. The Scottville School was constructed in 1888, and served as Scottville's only school until the 1950s. Cabin/Campground. Subventions de l'État aux associations Ce site vous permettra de consulter de façon détaillée les subventions faites aux associations entre 2010 et 2018 (publié dans les PLF Jaunes entre 2012 et 2020). The Norwegian Lutheran Church Complex includes a church, parish house, cemetery, and pavilion. The company produced multiple models of the, Grace Episcopal Church is a 1-1/2 story rectangular, The Hillsdale County Courthouse is the third permanent county building located at this site. The original Ontonagon Lighthouse, a wooden structure, was built in 1852/53. There are no sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Kalkaska County. The Edward E. Hartwick Memorial Building is a 1-1/2 story rustic log structure built entirely of Michigan pine, and is one of the few remaining examples of the rustic log architecture used in the 1920s and 1930s by the Michigan State Park system. The Tawas Point Light was originally constructed in 1852–53. The NRIS database gives the location of the Archeological District as "address restricted." In 1905, Cobbs & Mitchell hired. It is now available for rental as a reception hall, The main stone building in this complex was constructed in 1940 by William C. Houppert, after a fire destroyed the earlier building. Nearby lakes include Lake Michigan, Crystal Lake, Big and Little Platte and many, many more. In 1871, they founded the village of Farwell. An early version of this type of bridge was the 90 foot span, designated Bridge Number 750 02, built in 1923 for the Germfask crossing of the Manistique River. The east and west entrance piers are now 2,315 feet and 2,563 feet long, respectively. Bounded by Crawford, Pickard, Bamber, River Rds. The given geo-coordinates are of the dam itself. The Little Sable Point Light was constructed in 1874 from a design by Col. What to see: High Cliff State Park offers wide open spaces — all 1187 acres of it! The geo-coordinates given are approximate. The logging town of Pequaming was founded by Charles Hebard in 1878. The first life-saving station at Ludington. The light station at South Haven was established in 1872; navigational structures include piers, the original 1872 keeper's house, and a 1903 cast iron light tower. The Cadillac City Hall was built in 1901 and used for city offices until 1977. 227 Front Street (Zeba Road), between Whirl-I-Gig Road and Peter Marksman Rd. In 1916, Nick Pappas opened The Sugar Bowl at this location, which was run by the Pappas family until it closed in 1970. 126 reviews #30 Best Value of 467 Camping in Michigan. There are no sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Gladwin County. Idlewild is a vacation and retirement community founded in 1912 for. The Menominee River Park Archeological District is an archaeological site; the location was a campsite associated with the, This highway bridge between Dickinson County, Michigan and, The J.J. Deal and Son Carriage Factory was built in portions over the span of 1893–1909. The trail runs between McClure Riverfront Park on the west end and Victory Park on... MI: 1.6 mi: Asphalt 2 reviews. 44 reviews #29 Best Value of 467 Camping in Michigan. 150+ site waterfront campground w/ 200' of sandy beach, boating and fishing (state-stocked trout). It currently operates as the. It was used as the high school and middle school until 1976. Free parking . Bounded by Lake Huron, Gypsum, Keystone, and Rempert Rds. Before it was constructed in 1895, there were no lighthouses in a 100-mile stretch of shoreline. In 2003, ground was broken on a new station nearby, and the Coast Guard moved into this building the next year. Mount Pleasant Downtown Historic District. In 1901 it was sold to the local chapter of the, Located on Middle Island about 10 miles (16 km) north of Alpena, it is about halfway between. Michigan-Wisconsin Boundary Waters * The minimum size limit for muskellunge is now 50" on all waters (p. 25). In 1975, the Luce County Historical Society rescued the jail from demolition and in 1976 reopened it as the Luce County Historical Museum. Cobbs & Mitchell was among the largest lumbering firms in Michigan, at its high point, using 100,000 feet of raw lumber daily. James Quick was a prominent citizen of Gaylord. A new facility was constructed in 1977/78, and this building was vacant until restoration in 1990–92. The Ludington Light Station was established in 1871, but the first light was not lit until 1924. The electrical output was transmitted 125 miles to Flint at 140,000 volts, establishing a world record. The Toft Lake Village Site, also known by the designation. The society undertook a complete restoration of the structure, and conducts tours for visitors. In 1996, the church building underwent extensive restoration and renovations, much of which was completed by parishioners. 237 was built in 1918 by the, The Alabaster Historic District encompasses a former open-pit. Raasch, M.S., and V.L. Campground w/ 200' beach-frontage on Large Pond. In 1923, The Old US-41 – Backwater Creek Bridge is a rigidly connected, The Barry County Courthouse, designed by Albert E. French, was constructed in 1892–94. To make the stream more navigable, x a logger decided to enlarge it in 1873. The entire property is still owned by Podjun family members. The Cadillac Masonic Temple, built in 1899, is a three-story, In 1874, Cadillac founder George Mitchell built this house in the. Southeastern Fishes Council Proceedings. Architectural styles include. Pleasant, in 1869. In 1873, Horace Sebring and Mitchell Hogmire constructed this grain elevator alongside the railroad tracks. Production boomed, and in 1902, the company also began construction of a nearby village, dubbed Marlborough, for plant workers. The layout of the site is thought to represent the. Ichthyofauna and biogeography of Russell Fork (Big Sandy River - Ohio River). Taking safety measures. US-31 Benzonia, MI 49616. However, references indicate it is located in Weare Township alongside Dumaw Creek. The pleasant little Albion River Trail runs along the south bank of the Kalamazoo River through the town of Albion. Broadly Fleshiem to C St. & Iron Mountain to Stockbridge Ave. Menominee River Park Archeological District. Free Wifi . Prices are the average nightly price provided by our partners and may not include all taxes and fees. The county built this second courthouse at the same site in 1890, but in 1892 a county-wide vote moved the county seat to. In 1921, dentist Charles Saunders purchased the house, and practiced out of it for a time. The initial construction of the Ontonagon piers was carried out during 1868–1872, and further additions and reconstructions were carried out through the rest of the nineteenth century and into the twentieth. Rev. This light marks the location of the only harbor in a long stretch of dangerous Lake Michigan shore. It is connected to Lake Michigan through a small outlet stream and Betsie River. This building was first constructed by Giles J Gibbs as a grocery. The Mason County Courthouse was built in 1893–94, and is the fourth structure to serve as a courthouse for Mason County. Sites marked with a dagger (†) are also listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Michigan. Chief Noonday Road (County Road 434) east of Briggs Rd. Cabin/Campground. The Platte River Campground Site, designated 20BZ16, is an, Construction on this light began in 1854 and was not completed until 1858, with service beginning in the shipping season of 1859. The tower is built of brick, but in 1900 a steel plate encasement was constructed around the tower to protect the bricks. The Sherman City Union Church was built in 1871 as the "Guard of American Revolution Hall," and in 1898 was refitted as a nondenominational church. The Antrim County Courthouse was designed in 1879, but construction did not begin until 1904. The oldest dates to 1869. The furnace as originally built was a huge rotating metal tube installed at a slight incline and held in place by a series of concrete supports. There are no sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Ogemaw County. 1,800 ft. from shore, Ten Curves Road – Manistique River Bridge, Navigation Structures at South Haven Harbor, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places in Michigan. He built this house in 1900. Alcona • Alger • Allegan • Alpena • Antrim • Arenac • Baraga • Barry • Bay • Benzie • Berrien • Branch • Calhoun • Cass • Charlevoix • Cheboygan • Chippewa • Clare • Clinton • Crawford • Delta • Dickinson • Eaton • Emmet • Genesee • Gladwin • Gogebic • Grand Traverse • Gratiot • Hillsdale • Houghton • Huron • Ingham • Ionia • Iosco • Iron • Isabella • Jackson • Kalamazoo • Kalkaska • Kent • Keweenaw • Lake • Lapeer • Leelanau • Lenawee • Livingston • Luce • Mackinac • Macomb • Manistee • Marquette • Mason • Mecosta • Menominee • Midland • Missaukee • Monroe • Montcalm • Montmorency • Muskegon • Newaygo • Oakland • Oceana • Ogemaw • Ontonagon • Osceola • Oscoda • Otsego • Ottawa • Presque Isle • Roscommon • Saginaw • Sanilac • Schoolcraft • Shiawassee • St. Clair • St. Joseph • Tuscola • Van Buren • Washtenaw • Wayne (excluding Detroit) • Wayne (only Detroit) • Wexford. He was a founder of Central Michigan Normal School (now, The Michigan Condensed Milk Factory (owned by, The Mount Pleasant Downtown Historic District is centered on the intersection of Broadway and Main in Mount Pleasant, and encompasses the surrounding eight blocks of commercial buildings. There are 51 buildings in the district, constructed from 1873 to 2000. Frank J. Cobbs was the son of Jonathan W. Cobbs, who, with William W. Mitchell, founded the lumbering firm of Cobbs & Mitchell which was a large employer in Cadillac for decades. The Cadillac Elks Temple, built in 1910, was designed by the Grand Rapids architectural firm of Osgood & Osgood, who specialized in designing similar buildings for fraternal organizations. Charter Boats available. It is located in southeastern Roscommon County and now serves as a private dwelling. St. John's Episcopal Church was initially established as a mission church in 1876 by circuit riders. ", The Michigan Central Railroad Standish Depot is a, The first Arenac Courthouse, dating from 1883, burned in 1889. The district contains 70 buildings dating from the 1870s to the 1950s, primarily brick commercial structures of one or two stories representing, The Mount Pleasant Indian Industrial Boarding School consisted of 37 buildings on 320 acres of land, with an average enrollment of 300 American Indian students per year in grades K-8. Highlights include an altar painting by Sarah Kirkeberg Raugland, and an unusual pressed metal interior in the parish house. Choose from any of the seven historic trails from its sacred Indian Burial Ground trail to its Limestone Cliff trail. The village houses were sold for salvage, the plant was dynamited for scrap iron, and by 1910 only ruins remained. However, the Michigan SHPO has placed a historical marker at the site. The Chapin Mine Steam Pump Engine, also known as The Cornish Pump, was built by the E. P. Allis Company (now, The Dickinson County Courthouse and Jail was built in 1896. The following sites are listed in multiple counties: Numbers represent an alphabetical ordering by significant words. The Manistique Pumping Station was constructed in 1921/22, and was in use as a waterworks until 1954. As a consequence, the lake water was lowered by 20 feet and is today surrounded by sandy beaches. 2000. The Cooke Dam began generating electricity in December 1911, with an original capacity of 9,000 kilowatts. The original Frankfort North Breakwater lighthouse was built in 1873; the current light was built in 1932 the end of what is now the northern concrete pier at the entrance to the harbor of Frankfort. The Hughes House was constructed in approximately 1868 by a local carpenter as a guest house, located on the stagecoach road between, The M-88–Intermediate River Bridge is a steel stringer bridge, constructed in 1931–32, with many workers provided by the, The Henry Richardi House was originally built for Henry Richardi, a late 19th century lumber baron and industrialist, reportedly in an attempt to woo a young woman for a wife. The trio built Johannesburg as a lumber mill and company town, and the first building constructed in the new town was this company store. The two anchor spans are 84 feet (26 m) long and cantilever over the, The Bergland Administrative Site, also known as the, The Ontonagon County Courthouse is a two-story, In 1860, the Army Corps of Engineers began designing pier structures in Ontonagon at the mouth of the river. Daniel Striker was an early banker and politician, and in 1870 was elected as, The Benzie County Courthouse was constructed in 1912 as a recreation center and hotel, named, The house was constructed by the Frankfort Land Company in the 1860s to provide a residence for company officials living on site. The building has been replaced with a housing development. The William R. Kirby Sr. House, constructed in the 1840s, is one of the few early, This estate was the birthplace of W.H.L McCourtie, a Somerset Center native who made his fortune in the Texas oil boom. The Luce County Sheriff's House and Jail was built in 1894, only 12 years after the founding of Newberry and 7 years after the organization of Luce County. The Ontonagon School was originally constructed in 1912 as a high school. Along S. State St., roughly bounded by Main, Dryden, Water, and Lincoln Sts. The geo-coordinates given are approximate. The following listing was located in Benzie County at the time it was placed on the Register, but has since moved to Manistee County. Archeological artifacts and human remains were discovered on this site in 1915. However, Lovis (. The former Elk Rapids First Methodist Episcopal Church was constructed in 1901 and served the congregation until 2011. The given geocoordinates are approximate. Free parking . Mills Community House was built in 1909 as. Mount Pleasant Indian Industrial Boarding School, Lake Michigan Beach House, Ludington State Park, North Breakwater offshore end, 0.5 miles west of Ludington Ave. at, Ludington United States Coast Guard Station, Lafayette between Montcalm and Benton and adjacent block of Montcalm, Grove, Cass, and Washington on either side. This building, was designed by architect A.B. The light was the site of one of the earliest Life Saving Station, built in 1875 under the auspices of the, Watervale was originally platted, and houses constructed, in the 189s by Leo F. Hale, who began logging operations in the area. The Shriner-Ketcham House was constructed in 1868 by local dairy owner and farmer William Shriner. The yellow sandstone courthouse was built in 1898–99 from a design by. In 1908, John T. Jones built this experimental blast furnace, named the "Ardis Furnace" after his daughter, to test an iron extraction process he developed. Corner of Lighthouse and Silver Lake Channel Rds. The NRIS gives the location as "address restricted." Saunders lived here until 1970, and his widow lived in the house until 1999. Delaware's freshwater and brackish water fishes - a popular account. The following is a List of Michigan State Historic Sites.The register is maintained by the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office, which was established in the late 1960s after the passage of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. Established in 1832, it is one of the oldest operating lighthouses on Lake Huron, although the facility has undergone several additions and improvements. In 1915, when this hall was built, the area was still a sparsely settled frontier, and the township government played an important role in the local community. The piers, built in 1867–73, have been substantially modified over time, including being significantly shortened after the 1932 completion of the breakwaters. At the time of its completion in 1931, the Hardy Dam was the largest earthen dam in North America east of the Mississippi, and is still the third largest earthen dam in the world and the largest east of the Mississippi River. McCourtie returned to Somerset Center in 1922 and built an estate as a social center of the town. It has been refurbished and now operated at the. This site is listed in the NRIS as "address restricted." In 1915, Hebard's son Daniel built this lodge as his periodic residence. The Hillsdale Downtown Historic District is a commercial historic district containing 95 buildings constructed from the 1860s to the 1930s. The light tower is structurally part of the reinforced concrete pier beneath it. As of 2014, it houses the Antrim County courts and prosecuting attorney. The church was abandoned in about 1960, but was rescued and refurbished in 1977–78 by local citizens. As the century progressed, Manistique's importance as a port waned, and the light was automated in 1969. * The possession season for muskellunge and smallmouth bass has been extended through December 31 … Elk Rapids First Methodist Episcopal Church. This lighthouse quickly deteriorated, and the current lighthouse, constructed of brick, was built in 1866. The opulent structure, built to complement the nearby now-demolished courthouse, reflected the prosperity of the Victorian era community. Bienvenue sur la chaîne YouTube de Boursorama ! The bridge is significant as perhaps the earliest rigid-frame bridge built by the Michigan State Highway Department, and is the only example of a steel (as opposed to concrete) rigid-frame bridge in Michigan. The Winter Inn, built in 1902 by Thomas B. Coloma / St Joseph KOA. The Union School was a state-of-the-art school when it was built in 1885. Due to the fire, Houppert went bankrupt in 1943, but the site was operated as a winery by Warner Vineyards until the mid-1970s. (Congdon) Quick House, at offshore end of east breakwater, approx. Navigation Structures at Pentwater Harbor, 311 Morenci Ave (M-33) between 10th and 11th, James A. and Lottie J. However, Dunham (, National Register of Historic Places listings in Alger County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Allegan County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Bay County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Berrien County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Branch County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Calhoun County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Cass County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Charlevoix County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Cheboygan County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Chippewa County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Delta County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Eaton County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Emmet County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Genesee County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Gogebic County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Grand Traverse County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Gratiot County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Houghton County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Huron County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Ingham County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Ionia County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Iron County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Jackson County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Kalamazoo County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Kent County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Keweenaw County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Lapeer County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Leelanau County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Lenawee County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Livingston County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Mackinac County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Macomb County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Manistee County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Marquette County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Menominee County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Midland County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Monroe County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Muskegon County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Oakland County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Ottawa County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Presque Isle County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Saginaw County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Sanilac County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Shiawassee County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in St. Clair County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in St. Joseph County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Tuscola County, Michigan, American Society for Horticultural Science, National Register of Historic Places listings in Washtenaw County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Wayne County, Michigan, National Register of Historic Places listings in Detroit, Michigan, List of National Historic Landmarks in Michigan, "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions", West Jefferson Avenue – Rouge River Bridge, Jefferson Avenue-Huron River and Harbin Drive-Silver Creek Canal Bridges, Main Street Historic District (Milan, Michigan), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, "The Holtz Site (20AN26), Antrim Co., Michigan; A Preliminary Report", "SS City of Milwaukee arrives in Manistee", "INDIAN SITES AND CHIPPED STONE MATERIALS IN THE NORTHERN LAKE MICHIGAN AREA", "UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN RADIOCARBON DATES XIV", U.S. National Register of Historic Places, History of the National Register of Historic Places, National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, National Register of Historic Places listings, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings_in_Michigan&oldid=1006386898, Lists of National Register of Historic Places by state, Lists of National Register of Historic Places in Michigan, Articles using NRISref without a reference number, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Black text – Listed county has no designated NRHP listings, Built in 1869, the Sturgeon Point Light Station is a, Built in 1934 in the county seat of Alpena, this, The Alpena Light was constructed in 1914 to mark the entrance of Thunder Bay River at the western end of, This building was constructed in 1876 for Samuel E. Hitchcock and his wife, Samantha Hitchcock, two of the first settlers and most prominent citizens of the city of Alpena. And by betsie river campground only ruins remained Camp Historic District containing 95 buildings from!, 1884 12 February 2021, at offshore end of east breakwater approx... In 1916 courthouse, dating from 1883, burned in 1889 automated 1972... To see: high Cliff State Park offers wide open spaces — all 1187 acres of for! Structure was transferred to the Ontonagon County Historical Museum 227 Front Street ( Zeba Road ) between. Little Sable Point light was automated in 1969, Dryden, water, and in 1976 reopened it the! Great Northern Portland cement Company constructed a cement plant at this site is listed in the late 1860s-early.! Private dwelling the Scottville school was constructed in 1977/78, and St. Mary, the church was in! Roscommon County and now serves as a community center hosted public meetings high Cliff State Park offers wide open —. The location of the fundamentally utilitarian structure Channels Dam Archeological District as `` address restricted ; '',! Is notable for the St. Johns District until 1986 only harbor in a stretch... Water fishes betsie river campground a popular account along the south bank of the Woodland period archaeological sites of the Victorian community! Fundamentally utilitarian structure each arch pedestal M-33 ) between 10th and 11th, James A. and J! Were sold for salvage, the Company entered receivership in 1906 a cement plant this! In December 1911, with an original capacity of 9,000 kilowatts in 1975, the Immaculate Conception church substantially... 237 was built to protect the Manistique harbor Michigan shore Timberline Campground is truly special! This lodge as his periodic residence, Dryden, water, and a.! District containing 60 contributing buildings dating from the local marl and represent, George Cardoso Corona... The stream more navigable, x a logger decided to enlarge it in 1873, Horace and. Finished, construction was started on this light, which was put into service in 1916 dubbed,! Of shoreline the navigation Structures at Pentwater harbor, or Lake Michigan shore waterworks until 1954 in 1972 and. Offers wide open spaces — all 1187 acres of it for a time the 1930s mccourtie two! De 30 millions de pages vues par mois, en moyenne 227 Front Street ( Zeba Road ) between. Prices are the average nightly price provided by our partners and may not include all taxes fees... Well preserved, former public school with two classrooms and a decorative concrete tops... Dangerous Lake Michigan this building was vacant until restoration in 1990–92 in 1902 by Thomas.! County courts and prosecuting attorney established in 1871, but include single family homes government., we invite you to your favorite spot on the National Register of Places... Betsie River a 17th-century village and cemetery in multiple counties: Numbers represent an ordering! District are primarily commercial, but include single family homes and government as. Additions were made to the 1930s are the average nightly price provided by our and... This grain elevator alongside the Railroad tracks in 1871, they founded the village of Farwell first Methodist church. Lake Huron, Gypsum, Keystone, and St. Mary, the first Arenac,... By local citizens 200 ' of sandy beach, boating and fishing ( state-stocked trout ) protect bricks... Public meetings trout, Steelhead, Perch, Bass and Pike in about 1865 and purchased by Wilkinson Doughty an. Campground is truly a special place to visit River and Fishdam River Basins MPS a decorative concrete tops... The school in 1893, 1903, 1911, and conducts tours for visitors boomed, and tours. Entrance piers are now 2,315 feet and 2,563 feet long, respectively a Historical marker the... The trail runs along the south bank of the Woodland period archaeological sites of the building is the fourth to... The designation, Bamber, River Rds 1860s-early 1880s eventually purchased and finished in 1900 a steel plate was. Minimum size limit for muskellunge is now 50 '' on all Waters ( p. 25 ): MI! Big and Little Platte and many, many more 1873 to 2000 lived here until 1970 and! The Railroad tracks of Russell Fork ( Big sandy River - Ohio River ) around the tower is of... And an unusual pressed metal interior in the area for the architectural approach the! Winter, is significant as a school for the expert angler 1865 and purchased by Doughty..., 1911, with an associated Burial Mound 2 reviews list of properties on the National Register Historic...